60 years ago today Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. Her actions help kick off the Montgomery bus boycott, a nonviolent campaign to challenge segregation. Her actions defied the culture of white supremacy 60 years ago and you can do something much less challenging to stand against white supremacy today by joining Showing Up for Racial Justice as a sustaining member.
Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) is an organization of white folks who are dedicated to conspiring with people of color to act against white supremacist culture in the US. We do this through a variety of means including are teach-ins, direct action protests, and civil disobedience. There are chapters located throughout the US.
Today SURJ is launching a membership initiative. Please join me in becoming a sustaining member of SURJ by donating a minimum of $5 per month. We also ask that SURJ members make a matching monthly donation to a people of color led organization of your choice.
As a member of SURJ you get to enjoy:
- A well-resourced, kick-ass SURJ doing what we do – organizing tens of thousands of white people for real, meaningful racial justice victories.
- The chance to be part of building a powerful multi-racial majority to challenge racism in all its forms.
- The opportunity to show up, shoulder to shoulder with millions of other white people taking collective action for racial justice.
- Invitations to leadership development opportunities
- Twice yearly updates
- Support from SURJ staff to meaningfully participate in campaigns and projects
- Connections to our extensive network of chapters, affiliates and local leaders (100+ chapters and affiliates and growing!)
- Opportunities to build deep and lasting connections with other members, through in-person meetings and trainings, meet ups at conferences, and online.
If you’re a white person looking to take action in supporting racial justice then I encourage you to join me in being a member of SURJ. The path doesn’t always seem clear for white people to stand against white supremacy but we make the road by walking and you can start your journey by becoming a member and joining a chapter today.
Any questions or comments about membership in SURJ? Leave them below!